Nike Announces the Lebron James Building
Lebron James has been a dominant force in the NBA for years and an athlete like no other. His unique athletic ability and talent on the basketball court has brought him many accolades over the years, and although his legacy isn't over yet Nike is already starting to honor him. Lebron has been loyal to the Nike brand since his entrance into the NBA, and yesterday, they announced that they have named the latest building in their World Headquarters campus expansion after Lebron James. The building will be home to Beaverton-based Advanced Innovation team, where state of the art sports research will occur. Lebron says,
“It’s so surreal,” “It’s been an honor to be a part of such a great company for the last 18 years. And to know that a building with my name will reside on campus — it’s truly an honor, and I feel truly special.”
Lebron has left his mark on the game of basketball and sports in general; he is definitely deserving of this honor. Check out 5 facts about the Lebron James building below from Nike themselves.
1. The new Nike Sport Research Lab (NSRL) will be five times the size of the team’s current space.
2. The Advanced Innovation team that will call the building home is comprised of scientists, designers, engineers and more, collectively focusing on inventing the products and services that make all athletes better.
3. Facilities include a full NBA-size basketball court, a 200-meter endurance track, a 100-meter straightaway and an artificial turf training pitch.
4. A waffle pattern concrete slab is visible under the fourth floor cantilever, where the NSRL will sit. This engineered, structural approach was selected for functional properties, and the waffle pattern is also an unmistakable nod to Nike’s innovation legacy.
5. A 15.63 percent incline ramp, just outside the building, extends more than 500 feet and offers athletes a valuable opportunity for training on a campus without natural hills.