December 30, 2014
Tech Tuesday: Google Self-Driving Car Project
This week's Tech Tuesday presents tech giant Google and that latest on its Self-Driving Car Project. Google has been road-testing autonomous cars since 2012, however this week the company is to unveil its first fully functional prototype for a driverless vehicle.
The driverless prototype and the test models are loaded with some of the following equipment and features to ensure safety and efficiency:
- A LIDAR system that maps the surrounding area in 3D to precision within a single inch, allowing the car to “see” without headlights
- Upgrades to the lane, parking and collision prevention assistance
- GPS connection
- Connectivity to server farms for high-load tasks so the car never suffers from lag
- Radar to measure the speed of nearby vehicles
- Internal sensors to track car speed and direction to figure its position according to dead reckoning as well as GPS connect
Tune into the video below for a closer look.